Current Vacancies at The Dubai English Speaking School
DESS is the premier English National Curriculum Primary School in Dubai catering for 750 children, a large majority of whom are British. The school has small classes and is extremely well resourced. DESS has opened a brand new Secondary School in September 2006.
'Dubai English Speaking School/College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment'
Dubai English Speaking School (DESS) was the first British Primary school in Dubai and was established over 40 years ago. It is now an English National Curriculum Primary school catering to over 800 children between Reception and Year 6. Each year group has five classes with average class size between 22 and 24. Each year group has a year team leader who is one of the team of five class teachers. At Key Stage One each class, and at Key Stage Two each year group, has a learning assistant. The school also has specialist staff in areas including games, literacy, music and ICT who both teach and support the work of the class teacher. The Learning Support Department supports both individual children and class groups. The school has a full time nurse. Specialist rooms and facilities support this work including: library with 14 computers, two ICT suites (each containing 25 computers), 3 research areas (each with 12 x PCs) and 2 laptop trolleys (each containing 12 laptops), science, art, technology, music, French and Arabic rooms, 25 metre swimming pool, gym, school hall and sports field. DESS is broadly selective catering mainly to children of average and above average ability and does not accept children with serious SENs. To be accepted into the school a child must be competent in both spoken and written English appropriate for their age. Seventy five per cent of children hold British passports. DESS has many of the characteristics of a good British state primary school, but with the resources, class sizes, positive pupils, achievement levels and supportive parents of the best British independent schools.
Dubai is an exciting, wealthy and expanding city. It has a large expatriate population and a significant tourist industry catering to mainly Western visitors. Expatriates are welcomed in a safe, modern city. Western style supermarkets provide all Western foods and all the named stores are here, from Marks and Spencer to Ikea. English is widely spoken and is the language of sign posting, shops etc. At the same time, Dubai is still a Middle Eastern city and staff joining DESS must respect local customs.
Duties of the Teacher
The duties of the teacher include all normal professional duties, which include, but are not confined to, the following.
- All professional duties associated with the teaching of children, planning, preparing, teaching and marking work with assessments, appraisal of and reporting of children, attendance at all meetings associated with the teaching of children.
- Attendance at meetings outside teaching hours to contribute to discussions concerning children and matters reasonably pertaining to the general operations of the school.
- Involvement in a professional programme for the appraisal of teachers.
- Excellent I.C.T. skills.
- Attendance at in-service training at reasonable times.
- Reasonable support for programmes and activities to raise the profile of and market the school.
- The teaching week covers five days, Sunday to Thursday. Core hours are 7:15 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. A reasonable allocation of non-contact time is provided.
- Support for the pastoral work of the teacher and taking part in school assemblies.
- Occasional cover for other teachers and duties supervising children during the times they are on school premises.
- Involvement in special events within the life of the school - concerts, sports days etc.
- A contribution to the extra curricular programme.
Teacher's Salary only:
- Tax free salary within the range 150,000 - 218,000 AED
Benefits:Apply to overseas recruited staff and up to two children below 18 years.
Free furnished air conditioned accommodation
Annual UK - Dubai - UK airline tickets
Medical insurance scheme
Free education at DESS / DESC (up to two children)
End of service tax free gratuity.
For teacher vacancies please complete the following application form and send it to email@example.com.
No vacancies at the moment
Applicants to send a Letter of Application and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants should be UK educated and qualified up to A Level and on their husband/ father’s visa.
DESS is a not for profit organisation that offers an excellent package and the opportunity to work with highly motivated students in one of the most exciting and fastest developing cities in the world.
For teacher vacancies please use the following application form and send it to email@example.com
*Teaching Applicants should have . . . .
- U. K. (or equivalent) degree and teaching qualification
- U. K. teaching experience (at least 2 years experience)